Thursday

Empire - Entrevista

1 – How did you come up with this idea, this project called Empire, in the first place?
Back in 1999 I did my first solo CD. I was trying out things like which tunes are great for me and which style etc. I enjoyed working with vocalists and thought of doing a next album with some great singers and musicians. And asked Lance King and Mark Boals. Both agreed and we did a wonderful album together. Some people said with all the guests this is an all star project so I focused on putting a line up together which looks more like a band. And here we are, a four peace group.

2 – There were several line-up changes since the first record in 2001 until now and this new album. There were some major musicians involved from the beginning. Who was a part of Empire in the past, why did they left, who is playing in Empire now?
Actually they did not left, it was a project and my intention and direction changed a bit and so I have choosen different people to work with to aim that goal.

3 – Isn’t it hard to join all the musicians to record and play?
It's a bit of organisation but that happens every time you do a record. And it's worth it when the result is great.

4 – Besides Empire you also play in Majesty. Isn’t it hard to maintain both bands alive?
I left Majesty some weeks ago cause I want to do my own things and wasn't too happy in the band in the last time.BTW I have another Band called Razorback and both take some time.

5 – You composed the album with Tony Martin and you also produced the record in your own studios. Is it important for you to keep yourself involved in the whole process?
I was very happy to do it alone this time because I had a clear idea of what it should sound like. And I worked til that sound was on the desk.I was writing riffs for Tony and we arranged stuff together so it was soon clear where this road will lead us to. Another point is having all the time you need for a project like this. You don't have to pay too much studio time for other people.

6 – Who wrote the lyrics? Tony Martin? What kind of subjects did he used for the lyrics in this record?
Yep, Tony Martin did all the lyrics and there are some great ones on this. Lots of stuff is about the good and mostly bad things on us humans.And there is plenty of it isn't it?

7 – How would you say this album differs from the previous records “Hypnotica” (2001) and “Trading Souls” (2003)?
It's more mystic and dark and rocks straight in your face. On the first there was a progressive touch and the second was a bit more melodic and softer. I'm really happy with the new output and think the next should be in this direction. The music fits very good with Tony Martin and this was the concept.

8 – Are you planning to take this project to the road or is it just a studio project?
I would love to, but things are not so easy in these times. I'm working on it!!!

9 – Do you want to leave a final message to your fans?
Hope you all like "The Raven Ride" and it would be a pleasure to come into your town and rock your place!!!Thanks so much for the interview.

Questions: RDS
Answers: Rolf Munkes – Guitar

Metal Heaven: www.metalheaven.net
Rolf Munkes: www.rolfmunkes.com
GerMusica: www.germusica.com

No comments: