Friday

Falconer - Entrevista

1 – Between the last album and this new one there were some line-up changes. The original lead singer Mathias Blad is back in the band. What happened with Kristoffer Göbel?
I realised that since we adapted a bit to Kriss´voice the music didn’t come out as I wanted although I was satisfied at the time of release. Kriss didn’t do our natural music style the best and we didn’t do the adapted music style the best. So, is everything should be as good as possible we had to do music that was natural and straight through the heart and then we needed Mathias. It was so to say a way to make the best possible result that we could.
-
2 – The new album recovered the Swedish Folk and medieval influences you used to have and you lost somehow in the previous record. It just came out like this or you really wanted to write this kind of songs, the Falconer old style?
Both yes and know. I knew that I wanted the folk style back and as soon as I began writing the ideas just kept flowing. It felt like I had opened a door that I had kept closed for a while and just piling up those kind of inspiration. The result became a bit more folk and medieval than I had thought from the beginning, but I guess it could have been some kind of catching up with the time we didn’t do this style.
-
3 – I interviewed about a year ago concerning the “Grime Vs Grandeur” record and you told me that you were not satisfied with the composition and the recording process. What about this new work? Are you satisfied with this new album, the songs, the recording process, production, final product?
This time it has actually worried me a bit since I was so proud of the result. I thought it would be hard to do something better. I haven’t really found anything that I’d like to change. It’s gone some months now and I’ve realised that I can’t do the exactly same thing better so therefore I look for some small changes in the music. Probably nothing people will notice anyway, but it keeps me go forwards.
-
4 – The cover artwork is in the same vein than the previous records so, this is already a Falconer trademark. Who draws the cover artworks?
Jan Meininghaus. This is the first time I didn’t have any idea of the cover but I think Jan managed to interpret the title track and the current situation of the band. The warrior returns home to the familiar country. You can really see on the cover that we´re back on track.
-
5 – There’s a limited digipack version of this new album with a bonus CD containing 4 traditional songs. How did you came up with this idea and what can you tell me about this traditional songs?
Traditional songs have been somewhat a trademark of Falconer since the beginning even though we haven’t done a lot of those. This time we had the chance to give away some extra candy. We had all material written and didn’t want to rush through 4 new ones as bonuses so we chose these ones. 3 of them are trad. Swedish songs where of 2 are metalized and one is kept in a very traditional way. Soft and mellow. Then we have one Icelandic song which have followed me from my “Viking era” in Mithotyn. It was the title track in a Viking movie that took place in Iceland during the 9:th century. The lyric is still in Swedish though. There is something special to do trad. songs although they are not too far away from our own sound.
-
6 – What kind of subjects influenced you to write the lyrics for this new record?
All kind of things from George Bush, Politics, religion, love and history. This time I think I managed to keep two camps satisfied. The lyrics can deal with anything although it seems at first look that they are all about stories in the medieval territory, but there´s way more to it.
-
7 – Do you have a tour prepared to promote the record?
No, there won’t be any tours anymore. Like we did many with Kriss? Mathias has a schedule that don’t allow him to be away whenever a tour shows its face. After having been able to play much live for a few years I now know that I prefer superb albums and less live instead of the other way around. Live for us will be summer festivals and occasional single shows.
-
8 – You can leave now a final message if you want to.
Despite the lack of tours you will be able to see us live at WACKEN this year. Hopefully we can also visit Portugal sometime in the future, who knows. Anyway, to all the fans: Cheers!!

Entrevistador: RDS
Entrevistado: Stefan Weinerhall (Guitar / Keyboards)

No comments: