Friday

Palace Terrace - Entrevista


1 – Palace Terrace (origin and meaning of the project’s name, short bio with highlights, discography, etc):
GB - Palace Terrace was formed after I had a vision for a vocal oriented album. I composed the "Flying Through Infinity" album shortly after releasing my solo album "Venomous Fingers". After completing the composition process for the album I began the search for a lead singer. It was an early Sunday morning that I put a call into Vocalist Jonathan Marshall. While speaking to Jonathan I explained to him that I had this progressive and neoclassical style album and would like for him to sing on it, without hesitation he agreed to record the tracks. I then further revealed to him the "Flying Through Infinity" concept I had, along with the seeds for the meaning and development of each song. After our conversation I sent him the entire album and the vocal production was underway. The band name was born when Jonathan and I were taking a break from recording vocals in my private studio. I was suggesting a name that sounded royal, majestic and "made for a palace". After further contemplation Jonathan said "Terrace"... "Palace Terrace". The timeline for the vocal production was extensive and extremely laborious, it wound up taking longer than I had anticipated due to studio scheduling, working and re-working John's improvisations and all my vocal parts. In the end the amount of time it took to complete was worth it to me, for it is satisfying both emotionally and intellectually.

2 – “Flying Through Eternity” (writing & recording process):
GB - I had composed the album on staff paper and also recorded the main body of music before ever approaching the other musicians. Once I brought Jonathan aboard we had worked intensely on the improvisations as well as the additional melodic and counterpoint sections I composed. Jonathan had written some lyrics based off of the "Flying Through Infinity" concept and seed ideas for the individual songs I had initially presented to him. I had also written lyrics to further project the song's original meaning. When we got together we melded our lyrics into what you hear on the album.

3 – Lyrics (influences, themes, messages) and the main lyrical concept of this record:
GB - In brief... it is a journey through space and time questioning what happens in higher dimensions, wondering if we'll find loved ones on the other side, wondering why we each go through the path we do, and then coming full circle back to a place to call home. As I previously mentioned the lyrics on the album were written by both Jonathan Marshall and myself. The concept of the album was influenced by my love and fascination of astrophysics.

4 – Album frontcover / artwork (who, why, meaning, …):
GB - The album's front cover is depicting a soul flying through the universe, or rather flying through infinity. The artwork reflects the soul looking over planet Earth and all of it's inhabitance. The artwork was conceptualized, designed and created by myself. Along with the lyrics the album came out rather spiritual, without ever really insinuating a particular religion. It definitely conveys a sense of awe, inspired by the grandiose scheme of who, what and were we are.

5 – Musical and other kind of influences:
GB - The music on the album is highly influenced by strict classical composition techniques in combination with modern elements. There are vocal sections that I composed using strict 4-part writing rules and other sections that utilize extensive odd-meters and modern harmony. The song forms used on the album were not restricted to any particular structure and came out rather unique sounding.

6 – Lion Music:
GB - Lion Music I truly believe to be somewhat of a saviour record label that brings high caliber musicianship and captivating artists to the public. While they are indeed in the business of selling records, they too are much concerned with bringing something new, fresh, innovative and over the top to both fans and musicians alike. Lasse Mattson is a talented guitarist and musician himself which I think really aids in bringing to the label the high quality musicians associated with it.

7 – Tour to promote the record:
GB - With the proper management and support a tour is highly probable. We all want to play this material live and very much look forward to meeting and talking with the fans.

8 – Final Message:
GB - I look forward to releasing many more albums in the future of both instrumental and vocal types. I already have several hours of new material on staff paper waiting to be recorded, pieces that have already been recorded and am also continuously composing more material. It will never stop and look forward to bringing much more music to public for their enjoyment. A big sincere thanks to all my fans worldwide for all your continued enthusiastic support and feedback throughout the years.


Entrevistador: RDS
Entrevistado: George Bellas - Composer of Palace Terrace.

No comments: